Probate is the legal process of transferring title to property under the supervision of a judge. Simply having a Will does not pass ownership. In Oklahoma, probate usually takes from four to eight months to complete. Every situation is different, but a probate generally includes:
- Filing of a petition with the proper probate court
- Notice to heirs under the will or to statutory heirs (if no will exists)
- Petition to appoint the Executor (in the case of a will) or Administrator for the estate
- Inventory and appraisal of estate assets by the Executor or Administrator
- Payment of estate debt to rightful creditors
- Sale of estate assets
- Payment of estate taxes, if applicable
- Final distribution of assets to heirs
Probate can be avoided with estate planning designed to efficiently and privately transfer assets.
Please contact us or call (405) 435-9700.